Elderly adults have immune systems that tend to be a less effective than those of younger people. This means your aging parent is more vulnerable to illness and infections, and will have a more difficult time fighting off any illnesses or infections they develop. Issues that may seem mild to you, can develop into very serious, and even life-threatening conditions quickly in an aging adult. As a family caregiver, it is critical for you to include protecting your parent from illnesses and infections into your regular care routine. A vital part of this is an effective germ control approach. Germ control is something that should be utilized every day of the year, though it becomes even more important during times of year such as cold and flu season.
Use these tips to help you create an effective germ control approach for your senior:
- Recognize the germs in your parent’s home. Many people only think about germs when they are out and about, but your senior’s home can be host to a wide variety of illness causing germs. Hard surfaces such as door knobs, light switches, phones, toilet handles, and counters can all become covered with germs, and can hold on to them for several hours. Combat the germs on these surfaces regularly using wipes or cleaners designed to kill germs.
- Don’t always focus on chemicals. You might first think about chemicals and harsh cleaners when considering removing germs, but this is not always the best choice. Chemicals can be harmful to skin, eyes, and lungs, and may be even more dangerous for an elderly adult with cognitive challenges. Look for non-hazardous alternatives, such as tea tree oil.
- Prepare all areas of the home. Make it easy to follow germ control efforts by equipping each room of the home. Put surface wipes, tissues, gloves, and hand sanitizing gel in each room so they are readily accessible for anyone in the home.
- Prepare for outside the home. Have surface wipes and hand sanitizing gel available in your day bag so you can quickly combat germs even when you are not at home.
You started your role as a family caregiver for your aging parents because you noticed challenges and difficulties your senior was having in their daily life. Whether these were just a few limitations such as not being able to drive themselves any longer, and having difficulties running errands, or more extensive needs caused by medical conditions and other limitations, you knew these difficulties were impacting their health, safety, and quality of life. Becoming a family caregiver meant being able to help them manage these needs in effective ways. Throughout your journey, however, you may have found that these needs have increased, or that your own abilities and schedule do not allow you to give your parent the level of care they need and deserve. If this is the case, now may be the perfect time for you to consider senior care for them. A senior home care services provider can offer a wide variety of highly customized services, designed specifically to address your aging parent’s individual needs in ways that promote health and well-being, but also independence and activity. This not only helps them to live life in a way that is right for them, but also eases your stress and enables you to focus on other elements of your life.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering caregiver services in Jericho, NY, please call the caring staff at Companion Home Care of Long Island. Senior Home Care serving Suffolk, Nassau and Queens Counties. Turn your questions into answers. Call Today (631) 884-0005
Dorothy’s core expertise includes an extensive background of more than 38 years, focusing on Home Care, Senior Care and operating a successful in-home care agency.
In her spare time she enjoys her 5 grandchildren, gardening, skiing and competition 8-Ball.
Latest posts by Dorothy Anderson (see all)
- What Car Trends Are Catering to Older Drivers? - March 18, 2019
- Did You Know It’s Poison Prevention Awareness Month? - March 13, 2019
- What Kinds of Volunteer Opportunities Might Be Best for Your Senior? - March 7, 2019