In your role as a family caregiver, you are going to make a wide variety of choices and decisions. How you make them will influence your seniors health and well-being, as well as their quality of life. While there are many decisions you will need to make, one that can be both particularly difficult and particularly impactful is whether to entrust certain tasks to a home care provider. Many elderly adults struggling with challenges and limitations experience difficulties with potentially sensitive personal care needs. Whether it is difficulty bathing, dressing, or toileting, these can be due to mobility issues, balance problems, arthritis, cognitive functioning decline, and other problems. Regardless of the reason your senior struggles with these issues, they can be emotionally difficult and stressful for both of you. Bringing in an in-home senior care services provider to help you handle these tasks can be a tremendous relief for both of you, and can boost the effectiveness of your care.
Some things to consider when evaluating whether your parent should have home care for sensitive tasks include:
- Do you feel comfortable handling these tasks?
- Does your aging parent feel comfortable with you helping them handle these tasks?
- Does your aging parent resist your help when it comes to these potentially sensitive issues?
- Have you noticed your aging parent having increased problems because they are trying to cover up the need for help, such as increased incontinence, or a body odor?
- Do you have the physical strength and mobility to help your parent with tasks that would require you to support their body weight, move comfortably, reach, or stretch?
- Would your parents feel more comfortable with a neutral professional helping them with these tasks?
- Do you feel your stress would be relieved if you did not need to handle these tasks?
- Do you feel as though your relationship with your aging parent has been diminished or challenged by you helping them with these tasks?
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be overwhelming. You are likely to face tasks and situations that are challenging, and seem like too much. This doesn’t mean you aren’t a good caregiver, or that you don’t care about your parent or their well-being. Getting help is not a show of weakness, but a sign that you love your parent, and want what is best for them, as well as for yourself. Home care can be that source of help. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging parent when it is right for both of you to ensure your parent always has access to the level of care that they need to manage their challenges and limitations in the ways that are best for them. This not only helps them stay safe and healthy, but also it helps to preserve your well-being and quality of life as well.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering caregiver services in Valley Stream, NY, please call the caring staff at Companion Home Care of Long Island. Senior Home Care serving Suffolk, Nassau and Queens Counties. Turn your questions into answers. Call Today (631) 884-0005
Dorothy’s core expertise includes an extensive background of more than 38 years, focusing on Home Care, Senior Care and operating a successful in-home care agency.
In her spare time she enjoys her 5 grandchildren, gardening, skiing and competition 8-Ball.